Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Mutant Super-Taster Mama

So apparently I have a genetic mutation. Just found this out yesterday after talking with my doctor.  The only reason they agreed to discuss it with me over the phone is because I am traveling and not able to come into the office until like July 21st.  

Now, my Gene mutation is called MTHFR C677T homozygous (A) -- in case any bored person wants to Google it, lol. I am totally wondering and curious if this gene mutation could be related to my SED {Selective Eating Disorder}?? After Reading some about particular kind of mutation yesterday, and getting totally overwhelmed with information overload, it seems like there have been a few studies done; but everything is relatively new. It also seems like a lot of incomplete/conflicting data and opinions are out there. I'm understanding that my type of mutation causes high levels of homocysteine which likely mucks up all kinds of things like chronic disease, thyroid, ability to purge toxins or makes me more sensitive to toxins.  High levels of homocysteine leads to inflammation and thus the inflammation can cause related damage. My doctor said all of my labs are good and I'm healthy EXCEPT my folic acid is too low and this gene mutation causes people to not absorb folic acid well, so I need a prescription for it .. and not to take an over the counter vitamin for this.

A couple of things that stand out are early heart disease, blood clots in the legs which I've had before, and Parkinson's disease. Now note that my mother died of heart disease at age 45 and my grandfather died of Parkinson's at 83. It actually sounds like it could be an underlying cause for all kinds of endocrine/thyroid/brain chemistry issues. But without a lot of guidance some bloggers take this little bit of information and go to holistic toxin nutrition vitamin crazy land where everyone's opinion is a fact.

Now if you've stayed with me this far, here is the weird thing. My 17 year old daughter ironically has the exact same mutation, same string and all. And in case you didn't know, she is ADOPTED! So how weird is it that my only adopted child (rest are natural born to me) has the exact same genetic mutation as me? This mutation also is said to cause ADHD ... Which she has big time!

Well that is what's new with me. What is new with you?

My 'Mutant' Adopted Daughter
was a Zombie for Halloween

As always, make champion choices,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment