Saturday, July 5, 2014

40 Toes Across Two States

So I left my house with a van full of stuff and sleepy children, at approximately 6:30 a.m.  I drove from San Antonio to Texarkana and we arrived at the hotel at about maybe 5pm.  That is good time, especially since we goofed off in downtown Dallas and had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe.  While we were there, I got brave and ordered an Oreo Cheesecake.  I have never had that in my life, and we all know how I am weird about trying new foods.  You know, that whole 'SED' thing. Well I tried it and I loved it.  I did not eat very much, as I did not want to bamboozle my waistline, so I shared with the kids. They loved it too.


Once we were at the hotel, we checked in and dropped off our stuff in the room, and then went downtown to the Courthouse where the state line between Texas and Arkansas goes right thru the middle of the building.  There is an awesome photo op there where you can have one foot in Texas and one foot in Arkansas.  We've been posing for pictures in this same spot for over 20 years.  It is kind of neat to take all the different foreign exchange students to see it, on our trips, and to take pictures.  So here is a shot of me and my boys, 40 toes across two states.


After the picture taking adventures, we went to eat at a Barbecue place called Big Jakes, where my cousin Michael works.  The kids were quite excited to try fried pies, well two of the kids were anyway.  I had never even heard of such a thing.  I did not try it, not after having some cheesecake just hours earlier for lunch.   I did however get very nervous about the French Fries.  You know I hate seasonings and spicy things.  I could not tell if the fries were seasoned or not.  My son Thomas said he thought they were okay and not spicy and that I should try them.  I could not let him down, so I did. This is very brave of me to try something new in a public place, totally new restaurant, especially with family around, lol.  So I did the deed and tried a fry.  They were actually seasoned - as I had feared - but it was okay.  I liked it.  Shocker.  I never eat a lot of fries anyway, not healthy or necessary, but I did eat about 3 or 4 I think.  I was proud of my French Fry moment. 


After dinner, we headed back to the hotel to enjoy the indoor pool and hot tub (whirlpool spa).  I must say I was a bit disappointed in the pool and spa, as there was entirely too much chlorine, and the spa was not hot at all, more like luke warm, which just felt kind of weird.  I let the jets from the spa pulsate into my back, since I had driven all day, and it felt okay - but not quite what I had in mind. The boys of course, did love the pool and had no trouble jumping in and splashing around.  They made friends quickly with the other kids who were there.  Lucia, our student from Spain, who is traveling with us, enjoyed the gym and got in a workout.  She swam afterwards.  I was totally planning on doing the gym after the pool, but alas, that did not happen.  So I just did some stretching and called it a night.


Well my friends, that's about it for now.  Gotta get some rest, as I drive out tomorrow with this crew and we head for Dyersburg, TN where I will get to see two nieces and a nephew.  I am very excited about this.  And if I am lucky, I'll see an old high school friend on the way.  Stay tuned for that one.  Meanwhile, remember my mantra ...

As always, make champion choices,
Debra




No comments:

Post a Comment