Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tomatoes, really?



Who likes tomatoes? As a kid, you couldn't get me to eat one, and honestly - have not even tried as an adult. They freak me out. Yes, tomatoes freak me out. Just looking at one makes me nauseated. I do not eat pizza or spaghetti sauce or pasta sauce or salsa or anything of the like. I definitely do not like ketchup. I can't even stand the smell of ketchup. The only way I get the resemblance of a tomato in me is by eating Hormel Chili. Seriously, that is it. Up until now, I've known they were important and healthy - but not enough to motivate me to try them.

But get this. The tomato is rich in lycopene, flavonoids and other phytochemicals with anticarcinogenic properties. They are an excellent source of vitamin C (the vitamin C is most concentrated in the jelly-like substance that surrounds the seeds). They also contain vitamin A and B-complex vitamins, potassium and phosphorus. A tomato grown in a hothouse has half the vitamin C content as a vine-ripened tomato. I actually did not know that until a friend posted about it on Facebook.

So, NOW will I try a tomato? I don't know. But maybe if enough people bug me about it - I will. We'll see.

As always, make champion choices today.

Debra

1 comment:

  1. I can't stand them either. I have to dice them up super, super small and mix them with the other foods I'm eating. I'm also really picky about them being in-season. I will NOT eat a tomato out of season because they taste even worse to me.

    Good luck! If you figure out the secret to how to like tomatoes let me know :o)

    ReplyDelete