Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Greetings

I don't really do the whole resolution thing ... but I do believe in goals and habits.  Here are some ideas I've got floating around in my head for a healthy and prosperous 2013.  Most people won't believe me, but 13 is my lucky number, so I have very high hopes for this coming year.

Remember: Many little steps taken consistently over time can add up to huge results toward living a happier, healthier life.
  1. Aim for 10 flights of stairs per day.
  2. Aim for 10,000 steps a day.  {1,000 miles in 2013 is my goal}
  3. Try a new food once a week - many of which need to be vegetables.
  4. Cook one new recipe from scratch at least per week.  Must do this!
  5. Prepare a large batch of something on the weekend I can easily reheat for meals during the week.
  6. Include fruits or vegetables with every meal.
  7. Seek out healthier version of the things I love to eat.  For example:  I love caramel frappes, fish sticks, canned chili and canned new england clam chowder ... how can I make these myself?
  8. Replace sweet tea with water or unsweetened tea - I'm already pretty good at this one, and very pleased I gave up diet coke once and for all! Whew!
  9. Drink less Starbucks.
  10. Continue to reduce and/or eliminate foods containing High Fructose Corn Syrup or artificial sweeteners - already pretty good at this one.
  11. Take a walk every day - already pretty good at this one.
  12. Look in the mirror and say something nice to myself every day ... easy peasey!
  13. Start the day with a healthy breakfast - I already do this!
  14. One day a week, choose an unexplored area near me and go for a hike (urban or nature). Love this.
  15. Get regular sleep - easier said than done.  Big problem for me, trouble with insomnia.
  16. Try a new physical activity that sounds fun.  I have so many ideas it's not even funny.
  17. Schedule at least 1 hour of “me” time a week and use it to do something I enjoy that relaxes me.  Hmmm?
  18. Commit to Meatless Mondays.  Not so hard.
  19. Journal and blog.
  20. Sit less, stand up more.
  21. When buying processed foods, choose products that contain ingredients you understand or 5 ingredients or less.  Try to get the whole family on the 'clean' eating bandwagon.  
  22. Commit to shopping at my local farmers market whenever possible.
  23. Park as far away from the store as possible and walk - I do this a lot.
  24. Reduce or completely eliminate foods containing partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils. Yes!
  25. Sign up for an event like a 5K walk or run and train for it.
  26. Replace negative thoughts about the way my body looks with positive thoughts about the things my body can do.  Important.
  27. Donate or put away clothing that does not fit and flatter me right now!  I am bad about this.
  28. Prepare vegetables and fruits ahead of time so I have healthy, easy to grab snacks ready when I want to munch something - for me and kids too.
  29. Watch less television and spend less time on Facebook.
  30. Try more smoothie recipes.
  31. Take a cooking class?  Hmmm, maybe.
  32. When I eat something indulgent, eat it slowly and enjoy it, guilt free.  Then move on.
  33. Play the XBOX Kinect with the kids.
  34. Take up a new hobby that is outdoors or a hobby that keeps me occupied when watching television (less mindless snacking).  Yes, I need a new hobby.  No clue what it will be.
  35. Every day, turn on some music I love and dance when nobody is watching.  I am good at this :)
  36. Read the Bible through entirely in the year 2013.
  37. Be more social with church groups, SparkPeople team, etc.  Need to meet more people, "in real life" people, not just online people! :)

I have so many things I want to try this year.  I want to complete a 5K (Have never done that).  I want to try Zumba again, and kickboxing and roller skating.  I want to go bowling more often.  I want to try Golf and Tennis.  I want to play basketball with my boys. I want to give Yoga another try. I love hiking - I want to climb Enchanted Rock and climb more hills and hike more trails.  I live in an awesome city and I intend to make very good use of the resources I have.

So, what can you add to the list?   A lot of this came from a blog I read at this link, but I modified it to suit me.

http://thisisnotadiet-itsmylife.com/2013/01/01/need-a-2013-goal-forget-lose-weight-actions-anyone-can-take-for-a-healthier-life/


As always, make champion choices,
Debra

No comments:

Post a Comment